Re: I want to use spamass-milter + clamav-milter

From: Jack Burton
Subject: Re: I want to use spamass-milter + clamav-milter
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:51:35 +1030

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 22:04 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Someone must have done this. Is there a particular order that's better?

Both ways work.

Run clamav-milter first if you want to drop/reject anything
malware-laden (regardless of whether it's spam or not).

Run spamass-milter first if you want to drop/reject/divert all spam, but
bounce malware-laden emails from whitelisted senders.

If you're dropping/rejecting/diverting everything unwanted (or bouncing
spam - but don't do that), the order doesn't matter much, so run first
whichever is likely to drop/reject more, to reduce overall load -- which
milter that is will depend on the traffic profile on your mailserver. If
your site is high-traffic, it may be worth trying both orders, tracking
load for each over a week or so, then choosing the least
resource-intensive.

Personally, I almost always end up running clamav-milter first, then
spamass-milter.