RE: DATE_IN_FUTURE weirdness

From: Andrew Daviel
Subject: RE: DATE_IN_FUTURE weirdness
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Shadwick, Tony wrote:

This is a known bug in older versions of SpamAssassin.  Either upgrade or
manually set that score to 0. :)

I upgraded to 3.3.1, but it didn't help (needed doing anyway, so my time wasn't really wasted).

I realized that the problem I was having, as seen by dumping $received
in _get_received_header_times() in site_perl/xxx/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/HeaderEval.pm, was in the Received header synthesised by spamass-milter (and never seen by the recipient). I was getting dates of 'Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:07:15 -0700' instead of the current one, prompting DATE_IN_FUTURE_96_Q or the older DATE_IN_FUTURE_96_XX I still don't understand - basically I recompiled the milter and the problem went away. I'm not sure whether the value of macro_b passed from sendmail was corrupted, or the one faked up from localtime if it was missing.

I also faked up a data field so I could whitelist authenticated sessions (where the user logged in with a password before sending mail). I could not be bothered to reproduce the exact sendmail string (besides, Postfix does it different, so I already have 2 filters).

spamass-milter.cpp:
+          const char *macro_authtype ;
+          macro_authtype = smfi_getsymval(ctx, "{auth_type}") ;

+          if (!macro_authtype) macro_authtype = "NONE" ;
           assassin->output((string)
+                       "(authentication "+macro_authtype+")\r\n\t"+

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf:
# add -10 for auth_type LOGIN or PLAIN etc.
header SMTP_AUTH3   Received =~ /authentication [^N][\w].{1,80}by
mx.example.com/
score SMTP_AUTH3 -10
describe SMTP_AUTH3 Sender logged in to our mailserver

I note that SpamAssassin now supports "msa_networks" for whitelisting authenticated logins. The way I read the docs, that only works for an external MTA - SA assumes that if it received mail from it it must have been authenticated, it doesn't actually check. You cannot use msa_networks on an MTA with an MX record or it will whitelist everything.