Documentation

From: Gary Cramblitt
Subject: Documentation
Date: Sun Aug 13 12:52:50 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 16:26, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> > When I modify the html_docs line in doc/Makefile.am from
> > html_docs = speechd.html ssip.html spd-say.texi
> > html_docs = speech-dispatcher.html ssip.html spd-say.texi
> > then I do not get the error.
>
> This fix is correct. Please commit it.

Will do.  Thanks.

> > 2.  When generating a pdf of the manual, the figures/architecture.pdf
> > file is too wide for the page.  This causes a blank area at the point
> > where the file is referenced and part of the image appears a page or two
> > later.  I committed a smaller version of architecture.pdf to fix this
> > problem, but it is quite fuzzy.  I'd be grateful if someone could figure
> > out how to scale the image down but retain sharpness.
>
> It might be better to generate a smaller postscript version from
> the .dia source with Dia and then convert it to PDF.

I tried that.   dia doesn't have an export plugin to pdf format.  When I
export to Encapsulated Postscript (.eps), it doesn't offer an option to size
the output, so I end up with essentially the existing architecture.eps
already in the repository, and when I resize that with ImageMagick, it gets
fuzzy.  I also tried exporting to png, which does offer an output size, but
after conversion to pdf I get a "page" with the image in the lower left
corner.  I figured maybe I could size the figure in dia, then export, but I
could not find any way to size the diagram in dia.  I also tried export to
svg, but when I load the resulting file into karbon or konqueror, the fonts
are just black squares.  I also tried to use scribus with no luck.  Sorry to
be a pain. The image I committed isn't bad, but it can be better. :/  I'm
hoping some good samaritan will take a shot at it.  There's gotta be a way.
Afterall dia is a vector based image, so it should be possible to get a
crystal-clear image.  Needs to be pdf of a image about 450x155 pixels if
anyone wants to give it a go.
--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)