ibmtts module

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: ibmtts module
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:52 2006

address@hidden p????e v ??t 27. 07. 2006 v 13:04 +1000:
> I've just recompiled the latest cvs snapshot of speech dispatcher.  It
> works well but there seems to be an issue with the ibm tts module.
>
> It is insisting on surrounding each utterence with the word "speak".
> I assume this is something going wrong with the ssml markup.
>
> if i use the -x option to spd-say the problem goes away.  The same
> problem is evident with spechd-up.

Hello,

this needs to be answered by Gary Cramblitt, the module author. I myself
do not have access to IBM TTS and I know quite little about the
interface.

I see the output driver does not attempt to strip SSML from the text.
I think the driver is written for a version of IBM TTS which supports
SSML and yours doesn't for some reason. What version of IBM TTS
are you using?

Just for completenes, I can understand how
        spd-say -x "Hello!"
can mysteriously produce the correct result, as this command is in fact
incorrect (but Speech Dispatcher doesn't check for SSML validity, as
documented, and if the output driver or the synthesizer doesn't
complain, this goes unnoticed). The correct -x version of the command
would be
        spd-say -x "<speak>Hello!</speak>"
and would likely produce the same incorrect behavior you are reporting.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke