trouble with Espeak and ALSA

From: Halim Sahin
Subject: trouble with Espeak and ALSA
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:51:52 +0100

Hi,
On Mo, M?r 10, 2008 at 08:33:13 +0100, Hermann wrote:
> am Mo 10. M?r 2008 um 20:17:58 schrieb C.M. Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net>:
> > > See the asound.conf file (attached to my previous mail).
> > > You can create such a file in /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc.
> >
> > I tried your asoundrc, but I notice pauses in the middle of  words, at least
> > when using aplay.  My testcase is:
> > espeak -w test.wav 'hello world' ; aplay test.wav
> >
> > Anyway, I'm holding off on upgrading my other machine to alsa-lib 1.0.16,
> > since 1.0.15 still works.
>
> Just tested it, on my machine it works. I observed one thing:
> When typing or quickly scrolling through a page, the letters/words seem
> to get cut off, in older versions of alsa-utils this didn't happen. What
> to do? Perhaps increasing the buffer size?
> Hermann

On my machine encreasing the buffersize produces the error reported
earlier in this thread.
A large buffer skipps almost the first word of a line.
When I set the buffer to a smaller size mplayer does not work any more.
Another problem is that only root can play sounds with this asound.conf.
Perhaps someone who knows alsa can help?
Br.
Halim