[orca-list] orca speechd backend switching output modules were not saved

From: Hermann
Subject: [orca-list] orca speechd backend switching output modules were not saved
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:34:12 +0200

Farhan <i.am.farhan at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I installed speech-dispatcher 0.67 from the apt repo that Luke
> provided.
> I copied the /etc/speech-dispatcher folder to my home directory, with
> commands interpretated from the speech-dispatcher manual.
> I do not have the spd-conf in my path.

Did you install python-speechd? If not, there will be no spd-conf, and
you will not have Orca support.

> after coppiing and making all directories in my home directory and adding
> speech-dispatcher -d to my sessions in gnome, logging ou and logging back in,
> orca yields that gnome-speech is still the only speech service I can select.

See above, and recheck the Orca wiki, to make sure you did everything
like it is described there - no typos etc.?
Sorry, don't know the URL by heart, but it might be:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuHardy

> out of curiosity when using speech-dispatcher 0.6.7 what is the best sound
> output to use for my situation?  I am using ubuntu hardy.

Hardy comes with PulseAudio as standard sound output, but I think you
can switch to alsa, and if I've understood the mails regarding SD and
Ubuntu right, you should do so.
Please check the list's archive in order to find mails that explain how
to switch to alsa, I think Halim wrote one.
Hermann