Possible bug in speech-dispatcher generic module?

From: Santhosh Thottingal
Subject: Possible bug in speech-dispatcher generic module?
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:17:39 +0530

Hi
I  noticed the following lines of code in generic.c (the generic module of
speech-dispatcher- in the latest version in cvs-
http://cvs.freebsoft.org/repository/speechd/src/modules/generic.c?revision=1.30&view=markup
)
[...]
DBG("Warning: Prefered charset not specified, recoding to iso-8859-1");
tmp = (char*) g_convert_with_fallback(data, bytes, "iso-8859-2",
                        "UTF-8", GenericRecodeFallback, NULL, NULL,
                        NULL);
[...]

In the comment it was said that ISO-8859-1, but in conversion ISO-8859-2 is
used.
Another thing is, Even if I give
GenericLanguage "ml" "malayalam" "UTF-8"
in while using generic module, if I dont give -l ml as argument to spd-say,
the text is not passed as UTF-8 to synthesizer, but it is given as series of
question marks like ????... But if I give -l ml switch it is coming
correctly. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the UTF-8 to be used as
fallback charset other than ISO-8859-* ? I noticed these while trying a
generic synthesizer for Dhvani TTS(http://dhvani.sourceforge.net)

Thanks
Santhosh Thottingal
http://santhoshtr.livejournal.com