Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:59:38 +0100

Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
> I start SD as a daemon on runlevel 5. Giving 'init 5', it starts, and
> it's setup to use espeak with pulse. However, doing 'spd-say test'
> gives nothing. The log output is:
>
>  Tue Nov 11 10:48:11 2008 [434634] PulseAudio ERROR: Failed to connect to
> server: Access denied

Hello Lars,

Pulse audio server usually runs under the same user, which runs the
desktop and only allows connections from the same user.  That's why you
will probably need to run Speech Dispatcher as a user within your Gnome
session, not as a system wide service.  See Speech Dispatcher
documentation for more information how to run Speech Dispatcher as user.

Best regards, Tomas