Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9

From: Jan Buchal
Subject: Speech-dispatcher on Fedora 9
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:55:51 +0100

    LB> It seems to me that pulseaudio is, in Fedora, started somewhat
    LB> automagically by GNOME, and it seems that it's under the user
    LB> 'pulse'. Ok, so I started speech-dispatcher as the user pulse,
    LB> and 'spd-say test', speaks. By the way, I get the following log
    LB> output after spd-say:
I'm not an expert for pulseaudio but I think that the streategy is, that
pulse runs under user who is lodged. If pulseaudio runs under pulse, I
think that pulse works as system wide service. If it is true then
probably will be ok if you add an user to a pulse group. pulse-access
for example or something similar it depends on you system.

    LB> [root at lapx ~]# spd-say test [root at lapx ~]# E: authkey.c: Failed
    LB> to open cookie file '//.pulse-cookie': No su ch file or
    LB> directory E: authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
    LB> '//.pulse-cookie': No such file o r directory W: context.c: No
    LB> cookie loaded. Attempting to connect without.

    LB> However, after starting SD as user pulse, I cannot use paplay
    LB> any more:
And SD works with pulse output method?

    LB> [root at lapx ~]# paplay /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav Connection
    LB> failure: Access denied [root at lapx ~]#

    LB> And no, I'm stucked...

    >> Regarding a configuration of SD you can use system configuration
    >> in /etc/speech-dispatcher or in .speech-dispatcher in your home,
    >> in home of user under which you runs SD. I recomment you try
    >> spd-conf script for easier configuration of SD.

    LB> That script seems to be missing in the Fedora distribution.
Hm, it seams that in Fedora is older version of SD. Which version you
have there?

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008