speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa

From: Bart Bunting
Subject: speech dispatcher not connecting to alsa
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:34:36 +1100

Hi,

Are you sure that emacspeak is using alsa?

If you do a c-e c-s does it say "viavoice using alsa" or just "viavoice"
If the latter then you are only using oss emulation.  If this is the case
speech dispatcher won't work as expected.

You should have an atcleci.so in the Linux-outloud subdir of the servers
directory in your emacspeak installation.

If you have this file and you are still hearing "viavoice" and not "viavoice
using alsa" the issue may be that you don't have the alsa headers installed.
The outloud script checks for the presence of one of the .h files to
determine if you have alsa available.

The easiest thing to do if this is the case is to install the libasound2-dev
package.

HTH

Bart