New Czech/Slovak TTS module for speech dispatcher

From: Daniel Tihelka
Subject: New Czech/Slovak TTS module for speech dispatcher
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 23:24:56 +0200

Dear speech-dispatcher comunity,

we deal with the research of TTS synthesis for several years at our Department
of Cybernetics at the University of West Bohemia (see www.artic.cz). We focus
on Czech, but we have voices for Slovak (and one older for German) as well.
The result of our research are every year presented and discussed on
significant speech-related international conferences such as Interspeech,
LREC, TSD and others.

The commercial version of our TTS is distributes by spin-off firm SpeechTech
s.r.o (see www.speechtech.cz, where various voices and engine versions can be
tried in web demo). The licence for a TTS module can be bought at a
fairly accepted price, and as far as I know, the users are largely satisfied
with the quality of voices. However, although the module is platform
independent (and it is developed on Linux, actually), the voices are
distributed for Windows users only at this time, mainly due to
the existence of standardised SAPI interface.

Just recently, our student Michal Siroky developed GPL module
(speechtech_tts.c and speechtech_tts.conf.dummy in the attachment) which
allows to use the Linux version of our TTS together with the
speech-dispatcher (the module is built and tested against
speech-dispatcher-0.6.7). Now, I would like to give you this module, and we
will be happy if it become the part of speech-dispatcher.

The module is GPL, of course, and it calls functions from the non-GPL
SpeechTech TTS library (I suppose that this does not violate the GPL licence).
For the purposes of development and testing, we have also created very
simple dummy TTS (attached in SpeechTechTTSDummy.tar,bz2), just replaying the
given file.

We will appreciate your revision of the module code - you have much deeper
knowledge about SpeechD internals and the requirements for the module
behaviour than we do. If you have any comments, improvement suggestions or
questions, do not hesitate and send them to us (to me and to the Michal
<msiroky at students.zcu.cz>). We will try to improve or fix the issues
reported.

We wish you many satisfied users of speech-dispatcher. Best regards on behalf
of the whole TTS group,
D. Tihelka

--
Daniel Tihelka, dtihelka at kky.zcu.cz ? ? ? ? ?
http://www.kky.zcu.cz/cs/people/tihelka-daniel

Phone : +420 377 63 2531 ? ? ? ? ?

Department of Cybernetics - Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence
University of West Bohemia
Univerzitni 8,
306 14 Plzen
Czech Republic