Speech-dispatcher problems with ubuntu EasyPeasy on netbook

From: jose vilmar estacio de souza
Subject: Speech-dispatcher problems with ubuntu EasyPeasy on netbook
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 06:09:10 -0300

Hi Jennifer,

I had some luck running speech-dispatcher in an ubuntu 9.04 distro

Try the following steps:
1) Remove or backup your ~/.speech-dispatcher directory. I believe that
your actual directory was created with root permissions and this is part
of your problems.

2) Launch spd-conf. Make sure that you are not logged as root.

3) Accept all defaults suggested by spd-conf, except the default port.
The default port suggested is 6561 but you must change to 6560.

If all is ok, you have speech-dispatcher running in user mode, and the
command spd-say 'hello world', should produce some speech.

[]S Jos? Vilmar Est?cio de Souza
http://www.informal.com.br
Msn:vilmar at informal.com.br Skype:jvilmar
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jvesouza
Phone: +55 21-2555-2650 Cel: +55 21-8868-0859