Pronunciation issue with ibmtts

From: Olivier BERT
Subject: Pronunciation issue with ibmtts
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:00:56 +0200

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a small issue while using ibmtts with speech diispatcher.
It is not specific to the use of Speech Dispatcher, but I think it will never
be fixed in the ibmtts engine itself.

In french, some punctuation characters are preceded by a 'non-break space'
character (0xc2 0xa0 in utf-8). When Speech Dispatcher processes a text
string for ibmtts, it converts it from utf-8 to cp1252 (I think) because
ibmtts doesn't understand utf-8. After this conversion step, non-break
spaces are replaced with the code 0xa0. I finally come to the problem:
when ibmtts encounters a word followed by this character (0xa0), it spells
this word instead of pronuncing it normally.

I'm currently looking for a way to solve this issue in a clean way.
Is there a way to replace every non-break space by normal space in the
Speech Dispatcher code ?

I mainly use speech-dispatcher with orca and I've tried to fix the problem
by adding an entry in the orca's pronunciation dictionary. But, as the
non-break space is considered to be a space by Orca, it doesn't work.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Olivier
--