really no idea? Re: sd_generic problem please help!

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: really no idea? Re: sd_generic problem please help!
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:43:14 +0100

Halim Sahin napsal(a):
> [...]

Because sd_generic is what it is, a Generic module,
not specific for a given synthesizer. It splits text
for two reason: 1) To be able to handle pause/resume,
2) So that it doesn't take more time to start speaking
a long text than a short text.

It starts a new process every time because it's its
basic design. The generic module doesn't know of
whether espeak supports SSML or can handle long texts,
can deliver audio in a better way...

This is what the native modules are for. So if we need
a more advanced behavior than what generic does
(which is by design only very simple), we need to fix
the native module or create a new native module.

A native module can also use paplay externally if this
is what we decide for, just it will be specific for espeak,
not generic, which is what you actually ask for.

With regards,
Hynek