regarding the future of pulseaudio output

From: Rui Batista
Subject: regarding the future of pulseaudio output
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:32:22 +0000

Hi all,

Over the past month or so have been posted to or three patches regarding
pulseaudio output. One uses libao and works almost good, and the other
uses the pulse-simple interface (it was coded by bill Cox and I myself
made some minor changes). There is also the old assynchronous code that
doesn't work that good, at lest for majority of users. The pulse-simple
(I called it for simplicity) patch works good but, as the libao one
does, it has some drawbacks I'd like to point out. Neither libao or
pulse-simple api provide ways to implement the set_volume function
directly (we can change the samples amplitude but that's not so clever)
and for each pulse_speak the driver must connect to the server, open a
stream and play it (libao pulse driver uses the pa_simple routines so
the limitations are similar I think). On other note the pulse_open
function doesn't do any verification to see if the server is running...
It can be done a fake connection to the server to check if it is running
but on each speak call. The assynchrnous aproach does not have these
drawbacks but for some reason is not working right. The code is
overcomplicated in my opinion and a rewrite using the same assynchronous
calls (getting some ideas of what is already done) can be acomplished.

All this speech is to ask one question: what do you people think it is
the best aproach? Is there anyone working on it? I'd like to know
because speech-dispatcher is such of great iportance for me (I use it
all day) and would like to contribute anyway possible, mainly with
pulseaudio support witch I think is a weekness right now. I'm ready to
try to rewrite the assynchrnous code if needed, or doing anything I can
to improove pulseaudio support.

Best Regards,

Rui Batista

Rui Batista
E-mail/googletalk: ruiandrebatista (at) gmail (dot) com
MSN/WLM: ruiandrebatista (at) hotmail (dot) com (don't send mail to this
on)
Skype: ruiandrebatista
twitter: http://twitter.com/ragb
weblog: http://outputstream.wordpress.com