proposal for speech dispatcher and speechd-up continued maintenance

From: William Hubbs
Subject: proposal for speech dispatcher and speechd-up continued maintenance
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:55:04 -0600

Brailcom staff:

In your response to our open letter, you stated that you cannot promise any
resources for future development of the speech dispatcher project.

We have also noticed that there hasn't been any work done on the TTSAPI
project since May 2008.

Because of this, the community would like to make a proposal to you.

The community believes that there are enough resources available to clean up
speech dispatcher's design, whilst also making speech dispatcher TTSAPI
compliant. The community believes speech-dispatcher is the way forward because
speech dispatcher in its current form works now,  and will allow an easier
transition to TTSAPI thanks to a working code base. This will also reduce
time spent writing TTSAPI support code and debugging, allowing
TTSAPI to be usable that much sooner.

Someone in the community has offered to register a domain and host a community
based site for Speech Dispatcher and Speechd-Up development.  We would be able
to migrate all of the source code for you to the new site, and, of course, you
would still be welcome as part of the community.

Can you give us a decision by March 4 utc regarding whether you accept this
proposal?

With Kind Regards,

the Speech Dispatcher users community

William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com>