[Opentts-dev] merging opentts and speechd was Re: Fwd: Re: OpenTTS 0.1

From: Aleksandar Kostadinov
Subject: [Opentts-dev] merging opentts and speechd was Re: Fwd: Re: OpenTTS 0.1 released.
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:04:02 +0300

Hello Jan,

I see you care a lot about these matters but some of your assumptions
are not correct. Most importantly the role of volunteer contributors.
How you describe it it is not possible to create a good opensource
ecosystem around SD because volunteers who are often most motivated
are not held on an equal ground.

Look at Linux. Contributors are not asked if they are payed to work on
the kernel or not. Which company hires them and such stuff. I would
highly recommend you to search in google for the linux development
model and reconsider your principles.

I'm not a contributor and am actually subscribed to the list somehow
by luck (good or bad, I don't know) but I think if you had somebody to
just review the patches and direct volunteers at how to fix them to be
acceptable, that wouldn't cost you much and project wouldn't have been
in such a situation.
I feel that opentts guys (although I haven't talked to them) would
accept Brailcom's leadership if clear rules are agreed upon for code
quality, commit rights and so on. For example you can think of
something like commit on 3 acks from established developers or some
other scheme.

See you are writing the code for the people and as I see it, mostly
people that use the code are willing to contribute code to it. So you
need to be listening to them and understand what do they want and what
do they need rather than think your opinion is the best. It's all
about trust that needs to be established and then things go smoother.

IMHO you are proposing an approach that just cannot scale. Excuse me
but your promise sounds very vague and somehow leaves volunteer
contributors in the air as they were before.
By using a more opened and scalable approach, the future of SD will
not be determined only from the funds sent to your organization but
will be much more stable and predictable. As many projects start to
rely on SD, you will see more and more developers contributing (many
of them payed by other companies).

I see SD your baby but it has grown and same approaches just don't
work (proven by the created fork).

It's all IMHO though...