[orca-list] Plans for Speech Dispatcher

From: Jeremy Whiting
Subject: [orca-list] Plans for Speech Dispatcher
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:55:00 -0600

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Hynek Hanke <hanke at brailcom.org> wrote:

> On 30.6.2010 03:57, Michael Pozhidaev wrote:
>
>> 2) After the release of 0.7.1, we plan to start working on
>>> two major improvements for the 0.8 release: DBUS interface
>>> and closer session integration using such technologies
>>>

>> Will D-Bus interface be respondable only for control operations
>> (stop server, etc) or there will be D-Bus interface to sent speech
>> commands?
>>

> It will be used in both cases.
>
>  It seems to me the second  may be amazing idea. It can be the
>> simplest way to produce speech output from any place you want. But one
>> important thing: if spd will  process commands to say any text and stop
>> output with D-Bus it would be great to initiate public discussion to get
>> some common interfaces for TTS engines accessible with D-BUS. Every TTS
>> provider (kttsd, for example) may be interested in such interfaces
>> research. Apparently, using common interfaces increases
>> interchangebility between TTS engines
>>

> Yes, this is a good note, although a little imprecise. Neither
> Speech Dispatcher nor OpenTTS or KTTSD are TTS engines,
> they are just high level interfaces to them. KTTSD actually has plans
> to make Speech Dispatcher it's default interface and drop it's
> own engines or port them to Speech Dispatcher. Only problem
> is there is noone to implement it.

Hynek,

KTTSD switched to wrapping speech-dispatcher a year ago.  I was in
discussion with you a lot at the time.  Maybe you forgot? :p  I admit it's
not the best wrapper at the moment (there are some usability bugs on my end)
but it works and is getting better. KTTSD (now renamed to Jovie) itself
provides a dbus interface for apps to use, and has some filtering abilities,
otherwise it is not much more than a wrapper around speech-dispatcher.

regards,
Jeremy