Considering ConsoleKit and GSettings/DConf

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Considering ConsoleKit and GSettings/DConf
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:38:09 +0200

On 11.8.2010 17:57, Nolan Darilek wrote:
> How will this work in situations where I might have an X session active
> running an IM client, but be on a text console doing something else? In
> actuality I couldn't see the notifications on incoming messages, etc.
> but I kind of like that I can still receive them even if I technically
> can't see the screen.

I understand why in this particular situation it is what you
prefer. At the same time, it is generally not possible to speak
messages from a session which is not active.

If your session is not active, because perhaps other user
is sitting on the computer or you went away and locked
the screen, it should not give out any of your private
information. This is the same for screen and speech.

Speaking instant messages on the speakers while your
screen is protected with a password is clearly a security
violation.

Now in your situation, while using X and the console
at once, I understand that it might be reasonable
to consider these two session as a single one, like
if you run in X but are using two monitors.

I think we should talk to the ConsoleKit developers
what is their point of view regarding this requirement,
which I think is valid.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke