Unable to start speechd-el

From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana
Subject: Unable to start speechd-el
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:33:16 -0300

Dear,

I'm starting to learn emacs, and I'd like to use both emacspeak and
speechd-el to see which of them has more advantages in practice.

I have emacs 23.2 and speech-dispatcher on my Vinux 3.0 distro. I have
grabbed speechd-el 2.4 and followed all of instructions for setting up
speechd-el, however, when I issue m-x speechd-speak, it just beeps and
shows "no matches" in the echo area. I'm sure I copied all of *.el and
*.elc files to at least one directory defined in the load-path variable,
that is /usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp. What do you suggest? Are these
instructions outdated?

Thank you.
Cleverson