Speechd-el error on arch-Linux: "Driver name not given"

From: Christopher Brannon
Subject: Speechd-el error on arch-Linux: "Driver name not given"
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:22:06 -0500

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clever92000 at yahoo.com.br> writes:

> Since I haven't found any package named eieio in any Arch
> repositories, that's required by Speechd-el, I installed Cedet

Actually, eieio is now bundled with emacs 23.2.

> Whenever I run m-x speechd-speak inside emacs, I receive the error
> "driver name not given". Looking at the debug information provided by
> emacs, it appears to be an eieio problem,

I found the same issue yesterday.  From what I can tell, the eieio
distributed with the latest version of cedet breaks speechd-el.
Since eieio is now bundled with emacs, you can work around the issue by
removing cedet.  That's not the best solution.  It should really
be fixed in speechd-el.  I emailed a description of the problem to Milan
Zamazal off-list.

-- Chris