yet another rule to discuss

From: William Hubbs
Subject: yet another rule to discuss
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:10:20 -0500

 Andrei, I don't feel that this is appropriate for the list, because it
 was a matter of how you interpreted my reply instead of having to do
 with the technical merrits of the patch.  However, since you replied
 here, I feel that I need to state my position here.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 09:54:30AM +0200, Andrei Kholodnyi wrote:
> We have discussed build.sh patch William has provided
> Majority had an opinion it is better to implement it differently to
> what William has proposed.

I am not sure about that.  Hynek was fine with my suggestion, and the
only people I heard really protesting it were you and Halim, so it was
not a majority of people, but a very vocal minority.  There is something
called the "silent majority" which wasn't being taken into
consideration.  Not to mention, the patch would not have affected the
majority.

> Before pushing an alternative patch submitted by Chris I have asked
> William whether our arguments
> were good enough to convince him.
> My interpretetation of his answer was: he still disagrees but it is a
> minor issue, no worth to discuss.
> I pushed the patch,

My interpretation of your email was that you were not going to push the
patch unless I agreed with you.

> William was unhappy, I feel really sorry about it, since it is a
> project which majority of people is doing in their free time,
> and the aim is to enjoy it and not getting upset about it.

I wasn't unhappy about the patch, but I was unhappy because I felt
mislead.  I felt like you told me one thing then did something else.

> I'll revert this patch until we agrred on the rule. So what shall we
> do in such kind of situations?

There's no need to revert the patch, first off, because either way I can
just submit my patch again. ;-)

Second, I'm not sure that this is list material or that a "rule" needs
to be set up.  I think this is just a misunderstanding that needed to be
resolved between myself and Andrei.

William