running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:25:35 -0400

Hi,

> >I'm curious why you are so opposed to speech dispatcher
> >running as a system service?
>
> Security, no clear way to autospawn, not reachable via DBUS,

being available on the system would be an option as so far as I can see,
but I'm still unconvinced there is any real use for a dbus
communications method.

For autospawn a lot of the point of a system mode is that you _don't_
need to worry about autospawn, because  you know the server is already
running.

> not compatible with PulseAudio,  problems with order of startup,

yes, there is the pulse thing, but imho that is mostly things in pulse
that should be fixed, and in any case there are plenty of places where
pulse isn't used.

> dependency on distributions init scripts which often proved to
> be broken, problems in multi-user environments.

as for broken init scripts and dependancy ordering I don't think that's
really our problem, but you have to work some to get it wrong, since its
probably one of the simpler initscripts a system will use and really
only has two dependancies the sound system, and whatever filesystems
need to be mounted.

I think your security issues are related to the multiuser setup?  I
don't think there is any security  issues other than the set commands
that effect other clients and possibly some of the unimplemented history
stuff, both of which imho should just be removed.  There may be some
other bugs, but honestly for arbitrary code type issues I'd prefer that
the arbitrary code be executing as a system user with very few rights
other than to the audio.

Trev