running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 00:04:36 -0700

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 08:25:09AM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hi,
> Well under gentoo I have a /etc/init.d/xdm
> init-skript.
> Exporting speechd_adress needs to be placed there to get gdm work with
> speechd.

I've been trying that in my startup script for gdm but no go so far.
I stuck the following,
export SPEECHD_ADDRESS=inet_socket:localhost:6560
just before the line that starts gdm
/usr/sbin/gdm &
and when I run it from a normal root shell, speechd doesn't get
started.  Orca brings up gnome-speech instead.  I can do this from a
normal user login and use the startx command with no problem.  About
the only thing I got left would be to add the export line back into
the gdm startup script and try it from a cold and have the system
launch it before I login; maybe that might make a difference.  But it
sure doesn't work when trying it interactively.