running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:57:33 +0200

On 11.10.2010 17:01, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Anyway, back to the subject; could we have the disable_autospawn
> feature set up as a command line option?

Hmm... problem is that disable-autospawn really makes
sense only for the Speech Dispatchers who are NOT
started yet. If it is started, it is started :) So a command line
disable_autospawn basically does nothing. When client
attempts to autospawn, he will logically have no intention
of using this option.

Setting the DisableAutospawn when you run the system-wide
model is not really necessary. It is only a protective measure
for environments in which you fail to setup SPEECHD_ADDRESS
correctly or if your server is not running, otherwise, there is no
reason for clients to attempt to autospawn.

What would be really nice, would be if the /etc/init.d/
script could set SPEECHD_ADDRESS into future user
sessions. Then starting speechd system-wide would
automatically reroute future clients to it. Maybe we could
then also consider SPEECHD_DISABLE_AUTOSPAWN
environment variable.

We would need to dynamically override the contents
of /etc/profile. Maybe distros could solve it by including
a file that gets overwritten by the /etc/init.d script on
start and stop calls. This is hackish, but could actually
work if there is no better way.

Best regards,
Hynek