it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca a

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca and console
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:59:01 -0400

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:30:36AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> This is interesting that Orca is involved with specifying how speechd
> is launched.  As a packager, that concerns me greatly that one who
> installs speech-dispatcher would have to make modifications to orca.
> If we make a change to Orca for the Arch package of speechd, this
> would have an adverse impact on how Orca runs on other distros.  Could
> you elaborate as to which orca script you had to change? If it was the
> .desktop file, maybe I could add something to it to dynamically check
> for speechd running and then set environment accordingly.  We don't
> want to get into a situation where one package starts altering the
> contents of another - sounds like a bad idea to me.

as he said all he's modifying in orca is that he's setting
SPEECHD_ADDRESS, because  gdm doesn't seem to be sourcing /etc/profile.
I took a quick look and the gnome doc I found seemed to claim that the
gdm script that invokes the daemon does source /etc/profile.  However on
debian atleast there doesn't appear to be any such script, So I'm not
sure what you'll find.

> Oh, and another side effect I discovered over the weekend with
> specifying the environment variable SPEECHD_ADDRESS in any default
> basis is that autospawn wouldn't work until that variable were
> removed.  Again, I'm considering this as a packager.  If I set things
> up to run as a system wide service, it makes it harder for a user to
> choose session mode if they want. This bit of choosing between session
> or system mode is not going to be all that simple for an end user who
> installs the package without much more fiddling.

Well, what you can do is have a shell fragment in /etc/default/speechd
probably that sets is a system mode speechd runs and what address it
uses, then you can source that /etcprofile.d/speechd and that way
SPEECHD_ADDRESS  is only set if the system service is enabled.  This
doesn't help a user on a system where a system wide speechd is running
who still want's to run there own speechd, but it should take care of
most cases, and all that user needs to do is unset SPeeCHD_ADDRESS.

HTH
Trev