running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:50:58 -0700

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:57:33PM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> What would be really nice, would be if the /etc/init.d/
> script could set SPEECHD_ADDRESS into future user
> sessions. Then starting speechd system-wide would
> automatically reroute future clients to it. Maybe we could
> then also consider SPEECHD_DISABLE_AUTOSPAWN
> environment variable.
>
> We would need to dynamically override the contents
> of /etc/profile. Maybe distros could solve it by including
> a file that gets overwritten by the /etc/init.d script on
> start and stop calls. This is hackish, but could actually
> work if there is no better way.

Well, the next best way can already be done in Arch Linux.  They have
a directory called /etc/conf.d where the user could easily specify
desired command-line options without messing with the original startup
script.  Also we have a /etc/profile.d directory where a file could be
placed to specify environment variables as this directory gets polled
every time /etc/profile gets executed.  From my experience so far
though, these profiles are usually set up when  the package is
installed, not at execution time.  But this difference could be worked
out since only this package would have control over the file in
/etc/profile.d.