it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca a

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca and console
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:28:24 -0700

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:59:01AM -0400, Trevor Saunders wrote:
> as he said all he's modifying in orca is that he's setting
> SPEECHD_ADDRESS, because  gdm doesn't seem to be sourcing /etc/profile.
> I took a quick look and the gnome doc I found seemed to claim that the
> gdm script that invokes the daemon does source /etc/profile.  However on
> debian atleast there doesn't appear to be any such script, So I'm not
> sure what you'll find.

Actually, on ArchLinux, gdm *DOES* source /etc/profile, which in turn,
polls contents of /etc/profile.d.  I took a local test version of the
gdm script and echoed the $SPEECHD_ADDRESS variable and sure enough,
it was there.  I think the problem lies in gdm-binary or orca when
speechd is actually launched.  Since Halim found that he could set the
variable when orca was started, it makes me wonder exactly who / what
starts speechd up when gdm is used.  When I do a startx from a normal
user session, Orca does seem to launch speechd properly and use the
environment set from my normal user session.  So maybe we can't depend
on gdm to pass down environment variables?

> Well, what you can do is have a shell fragment in /etc/default/speechd
> probably that sets is a system mode speechd runs and what address it
> uses, then you can source that /etcprofile.d/speechd and that way
> SPEECHD_ADDRESS  is only set if the system service is enabled.  This
> doesn't help a user on a system where a system wide speechd is running
> who still want's to run there own speechd, but it should take care of
> most cases, and all that user needs to do is unset SPeeCHD_ADDRESS.

I hadn't given thought to running speechd in sessions and system wide
at the same time; one is really pushing things thin as far as I'm
concerned.

Hey right now, I'm interested in getting it to work in system mode for
all users including gdm with the least impact on other packages.