Can we ix the link speech pauses already?

From: Nolan Darilek
Subject: Can we ix the link speech pauses already?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:01:21 -0600

Hey folks.

Man this is an infuriating bug. Sometimes I have to wait for upwards of
a minute for Orca to process a long batch of links in continuous read. I
can't believe this isn't bothering anyone else as much as it does me,
but I lose so much of my day while Orca twiddles its virtual thumbs
doing gods know what. And it's not like I can stop Orca from reading
these links once it starts, as it seems like you can only stop speech if
it's actually speaking, so I have to play a game of whack-a-mole and
pound control as soon as speech starts in order to keep the long list of
links from being trotted out.

I know that we thought we had a solution at one point, then the
OpenTTS/SD fork madness swallowed the change. I just have a hard time
believing that this is where the investigation ends. Can we look through
commits made to OpenTTS in mid-May and see if one may have changed
something?

Or can someone with more experience with such things than I, I dunno,
profile this code or something? I know we don't know why this is
happening, but it isn't as if there's no way to find out.

I'm sorry that all I can do is cheerlead, but my area is Android
accessibility and  high-level languages, not C and low-level stuff, so
unless someone tells me how to get useful profiling information I'm not
of much help. And I've got a lot to do contributing to that particular
house of cards.

But I find it hard to believe that we have to wait for a lightning bolt
of inspiration to strike here. Has anyone profiled SD/Orca reading links
continuously and figured out what's going on? Or is there a known
solution in the pipeline?

This message brought to you by my netbook, on which this bug is even
*more* painful than it is on my dual-core desktop with 4G of RAM.

Thanks.