libsonic source hosting

From: William Hubbs
Subject: libsonic source hosting
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:46:33 -0600

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:33:11PM +0100, Andrei Kholodnyi wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Hynek Hanke <hanke at brailcom.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > if libsonic is currently only used by Speech Dispatcher
> > and if we do not have actual plans to push it to be used by
> > other projects, it is simplest to just distribute it together with
> > Speech Dispatcher. If we keep it well separated in the
> > Speech Dispatcher source, tree we can start to distribute
> > it separately when some other project shows interest
> > and the additional work for everyone with packaging it
> > etc. becomes justified.
> >
> > If however the ambition of libsonic would be to become
> > a general use library for other applications too, we can
> > make it a part of the Free(B)Soft project and provide
> > space, Git, support, mailing lists, issue tracking etc.
> >
> > Just let me know.
>
> Thanks Hynek.
>
> This is my understanding as well.
> Since at the moment sonic contains a single file it might be easier to
> include it inside SPD.
> We can at any time drop it and use external dependency when it will be
> available.
>
> or we could even do something like many projects do:
> ./configure
> checking sonic.... no (use internal implementation)

No, I disagree with bundling an internal implementation if there is also
an external library. I think down that path lies madness.

Also, there would be a copyright issue possibly if we include the code
in sd.

I believe we should just use it as an external library.  Actually I
think also that Bill was talking with Jonathan about espeak integration,
but I don't know what happened there.

William