Supporting eSpeak variants properly, or, how to offer synthesizer specif

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: Supporting eSpeak variants properly, or, how to offer synthesizer specific settings to clients.
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 08:24:01 +1000

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 09:40:44PM AEST, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Luke,
>
> This looks like a good idea on the surface. It may be the way we want
> to go but I have one question first. If we are moving everything to
> GSettings anyway, why not just have each backend have it's own
> GSettings schema file and the specific settings could be set directly
> with GSettings api? For example the espeak speechd backend's gsettings
> schema would have a setting for pitchRange and if a client wanted to
> set that to something besides the default they would use
> g_settings_set_int directly?

Whilst clients certainly could manipulate the gsettings keys themselves, that
would only work in one use case. We still have people who prefer to use Speech
Dispatcher running system wide, and I still want to support that. It is also
possible to use Speech Dispatcher over a network if configured securely and
correctly. In the first case, the user account running a client will not have
permission to change gsettings keys of the user where Speech Dispatcher is
running. The second case may be a totally different machine, in which case the
use of gsettings is a non-starter.

Luke

Luke