Setting the DefaultVoice for a voice without a conf file

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: Setting the DefaultVoice for a voice without a conf file
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 10:41:32 +0100

Hello Olga,

First and before I forget again: congrats and thanks for your work on
RHVoice!

> I implement support for symbolic voices by sorting the voices of each
> language by name. So, for English, Alan is "MALE1" etc. Is this
> configurable by users with other synthesizers?

For the synthesizer using the generic module, this can be configured
editing the <synthesizer>-generic.conf file. But I assume that very few
users, if any, do that.

To be blunt, I fail to see a really useful purpose to the generic
voices. Furthermore only three by gender are allowed and some synths
provide more that three voices per gender and language.

I think that just indicating the gender (so it can be selected with
this criterion) would be enough.

Requesting a specific generic voice can at best be an indirect way to
get the wanted synthesis voice (as Storm's message  highlighted), but is
pointless if the synthesis voice can be chosen directly from the client
application, like Orca, Chromevox or spd-say.

Best regards,

Didier