stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] Re: Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens

From: Joeli Hokkanen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:12:06 +0200

On 08:33 Mon 09 Mar     , Milan Zamazal wrote:

> Yes, it works for me.
>
> I use two monitors, a DVI monitor with 1280x1024 and a VGA monitor with
> 640x480.  I don't have any `Virtual' line in my xorg.conf and I set
> Modes to 1280x1024, i.e. the size of the DVI screen.  Then I call the
> following xrandr commands in my ~/.xsession:
>
>   xrandr --output VGA-0 --off
>   xrandr --output VGA-0 --left-of DVI-0 --mode 640x480 --auto
>
> Then I start StumpWM 0.9.5 and it works perfectly with the two screens.
>
> HTH,
>
> Milan Zamazal

Hi Milan, and thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it was of little help
though.

I tried commenting out all traces of the VGA monitor from xorg.conf and
removing the ``Virtual'' line. Afteri that xrandr errored out, crying
that the virtual screen cannot be bigger than 1440x1440, which it was
automagically set to when there was no specific setting in xorg.conf.

I tried with a configuration that would fit in the given 1440x1440. I
set ``TMDS-1'' normally to 1440x900 and then ``VGA'' to 640x480 below
it. After that I had two problems instead of just one. StumpWM still saw
the whole setup as just one big monitor, and my main screen was garbled.
It showed only random parts of the screen and flickered wildly every
time there was even a small change in the screen (e.g. moving the mouse).

I uncommented the virtual line after that and set up .xsession with my
intended setup, but it didn't work either. About half of the time I was
at the ``normal'' environment where everything was still just one big
screen, and at other times only the VGA monitor worked while the DVI
monitor went nuts at every trace of movement.

I'm out of ideas on what could be wrong. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
  Joeli