stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] bug: launching stumpwm automatically under GNOME loses keys,

From: John Li
Subject: Re: [STUMP] bug: launching stumpwm automatically under GNOME loses keys, manually doesn't
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:42:03 -0400

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 01:45:25PM -0600, Iain Dalton wrote:
> I create ~/.local/share/applications/stumpwm.desktop (attached) so I
> can tell GNOME to use it as a WM.  In gconf, I set
> /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager to stumpwm.
> I restart GNOME to effect the change.  Results:
>
> * gnome-panel doesn't show up

But it's running? Do you have StumpWM's mode-line enabled? Use the
"mode-line" command to toggle it on and off. It needs to be off for
external panels to work.

> * C-t ? shows about 1/3 of keyboard shortcuts missing.  C-t M-Left and
> other directions are missing.

Very bizarre, if you have no ~/.stumpwmrc.... Does ~/.xsession-errors
contain anything useful?

Is there a reason you want to start StumpWM through Gnome? Could you
just use an ~/.xsession that looks like:

gnome-panel &
exec stumpwm

? Then "startx" to start X, though GDM should have an option for
launching from ~/.xsession as well.

Much <3,
John