stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] additions to the info manual

From: Ben Spencer
Subject: Re: [STUMP] additions to the info manual
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 15:52:41 +0000

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Eric Abrahamsen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> [how does stump arrange them if they're already plugged in
>   when X starts? simple cloning, right? are there other commonly-used
>   programs for specifying the location of heads within a screen?]

Stump doesn't arrange them in any case, it just queries the X server
for the arrangement (through the wince-inducing means of parsing
xdpyinfo output).  Cloning is the default for the server, and programs
like xrandr use the RandR extension to tell the server to change it
(then the server notifies stump and it queries it as above).  RandR
has effectively superceded Xinerama btw (in a backwards-compatible
manner).

+1 to the comments about downplaying multiple screen support: if there
are any stump users with multiple screens, they're rare and already
know what they're doing.

>   A group is usually referred to as a "desktop" or "workspace" in other
>   window managers.

I'm tempted to suggest we should change this terminology to match
everyone else.  The term 'group' is taken from screen, but it doesn't
exactly match the functionality there, and it leads to madness like
this: https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/blob/master/window.lisp#L133-134

This looks like excellent and much-needed newbie documentation, thank
you for your effort.

Ben