stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] manual addition part 2: commands and types

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] manual addition part 2: commands and types
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 17:01:42 -0400

Hi Eric,

As promised, some more comments (though not many) inline:

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Bjergaard <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]
> No I meant the two small patches I sent directly to the list yesterday.
> They're pretty minor, but I think useful.
Please include these with your pull request when you send in the edits
to the texinfo manual.  They are useful edits, so we'll want to
highlight them in the next release, just include a message in the pull
request so  I don't forget later :).

> Not quite -- sorry, I should have just given an example. Some commands
> take a :key-seq argument, but if you want to fix that argument in the
> command string, I don't know how to provide a multi-key sequence so that
> there are no spaces to confuse the argument line parsing. ie this works:
>
> (define-key *top-map* (kbd "R") "describe-key C-t")
>
> but this is parsed as two separate arguments:
>
> (define-key *top-map* (kbd "R") "describe-key C-t n")
>
> None of the variants I tried worked. Not that this matter much, but it's
> the only type that I can't figure out how to represent with a string.
An offhand thought, does:
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "R") "describe-key \"C-t n\"")
work? (I haven't ready any of the source, so this is pure speculation)

> I think it can be ignored altogether for now, for the purposes of the
> manual. I just thought if anyone had any on-hand knowledge, we could put
> it in. Not pressing.

OK, but if its not pressing I'll forget about it :).  If you want some
research done make some noise and I'll try to dig into it.

> Yup, that's how I think of it as well, and it's never caused me any
> problems. This smacks of bike-shedding, but on the other hand here's a
> command whose name means absolutely nothing, except for the key it's
> supposed to be on, and it's not on that key.

I suppose that it may be more appropriate to call this
"eval-stumpwm-command" but that might be a mouthful... In either case,
leaving it as is now is not a big deal.

>> I'll read over the manual content soon and send more detailed comments.
I actually have no major comments! I like the pedagogical approach.
>>>   All command arguments must be of a defined “StumpWM type”. The
>>>   following types are pre-defined: [this list doesn’t need to be both
>>>   here and in “Miscellaneous Commands”. I’m leaning toward listing types
>>>   here, and having a link to this spot from misc. commands]
I agree, as this will be more pertinent to your discussion here. If,
however, this list won't change at all (or very much) it may be work
duplicating it for the sake of convenience.  I know the counter argument
is that it introduces two places that need to be updated...

>> Thanks for all your hard work!
Just want to reiterate this, its clear a lot of research went into
getting the explanation of the macros correct!

Cheers,

    Dave