stumpwm-devel

Re: is there a user mailing list/group for StumpWM?

From: Eric S Fraga
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 20:35:33 +0100

Hi Szos,

thank you for the long response.  Unfortunately, it's not quite detailed
enough for me to actually figure out how to do what you suggest.

On Friday, 12 Aug 2022 at 18:13, Szos wrote:
> With regard to setting up the layout of windows in dynamic groups, you
> can change that by setf-ing the dynamic-group-master-layout of the
> dynamic group to one of :left :right :top or :bottom.

So, I have tried (by eval-ing)

(setf dynamic-group-master-layout :right)

and nothing changes in terms of behaviour.  New windows appear on the
left.  I did create another dynamic group after that setting in case it
only applied to new groups.  I also tried :right in case I had things
backward.

I'm obviously missing something simple...

> This can also be done by the command change-default-layout.

If I try executing (in the : prompt)

change-default-layout :right

I get told that there is no such layout.  Save with change-layout.

> If you want this to persist through every group and through restarts
> you could define an after method for group-add-head which specializes
> upon a dynamic group and a head, and checks which head it is and
> changes the heads layout when appropriate using (setf
> (dynamic-group-head-layout group head) :right).

dynamic-group-head-layout is not known, either as a method or a
variable.  Again, I'm probably missing something trivial...

> I hope thats clear, i can provide more detailed explanation later if
> you wish.

Please do and thanks for your patience!

eric

PS -I will explore the source code some more in case that gives me
pointers.

PPS - for the record, I am running StumpWM from git up to date today.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-08-08) on Debian 11.3