Re: Slots for GNU, multiply-accepted students

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: Slots for GNU, multiply-accepted students
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:42:51 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:28:11AM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
>
>> For once, GNU has received all the slots we asked for to meet the
>> number of proposals we wished to accept, right off the bat (students,
>> please don't ask if this means you).
>>
>> If any mentors have a proposal that they wish to accept but which is
>> currently marked "Pending rejectance", please tell me now, so I can
>> deal with it ASAP (I don't believe this is the case, though).
>
> We (the Hurd) actually might have... But haven't ultimately decided yet.
> Will make sure to let you know off-list some time before the
> deduplication meeting.
>
> Also relevant in this context is the question, whether we (the GNU
> umbrella) actually want all these slots?... After looking through the
> list of all positively scored applications, there are at least two
> currently "pending acceptance" that IMHO shouldn't get in (for various
> reasons).
>
> Google was very generous to us this year -- we shouldn't abuse that,
> giving slots to questionable projects just because we can...

In general I've preferred to leave this choice in the hands of the
mentors. But Paolo has also expressed a belief that a couple of the
currently slated-for-acceptance proposals might want further
deliberation (but perhaps they're a different set than yours? :) )

I think one reasonable way to deal with this would be to contact the
associated subprojects/mentors of those proposals, and copy Paolo and I.
Unless there is something obviously wrong with them (in which case
please bring that something to my attention), I'm going to continue to
prefer to go with the mentor's decision (or perhaps the consensus from
the project team, if those disagree).

I agree that we should not use slots just for the sake of using them;
however, I do expect truly unacceptable proposals to be downscored, by
mentors from the relevant team. If they have positive scores, then it
strikes me as likely they hold at least some merit?

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/