Re: Autotools GSoC ideas

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Autotools GSoC ideas
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 06:24:33 +0100

* Stefano Lattarini wrote on Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 10:50:47PM CET:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2011, Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> > >  ``Interfacing with the Test Anything Protocol (TAP).  If possible, try
> > >   to write an implementation that will allow future extensions to
> > >   similar but more advanced advanced protocols (e.g., subunit, which
> > >   is similar to TAP but slightly more structured, capable of handling
> > >   binary attachments, and so on).''
> >
> > You could - or you could just write to the most capable and let folk
> > insert a filter (e.g. tap2subunit, included in the subunit package) if
> > they are using a different protocol themselves.
> >
> This seems a good approach from a design point of view; unfortunately, the
> existing filters in the `subunit' distribution all require python, which
> hampers portability in a way unacceptable for automake.

I don't think we need to do this kind of evaluation or decision at
this point yet.  It could be done as part of the project, or maybe a
project proposal.  Also, just because there may be only python filters
ATM, doesn't mean that needs to remain this way.

I've added the proposals to the wiki now.

Thanks,
Ralf