About scoring

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: About scoring
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:48:34 -0300

I don't want to see the following situation:

Package A is large and has 5 mentors + 5 proposals
Package B is small and has 1 mentor + 1 proposal

We get 5 slots.

Package B's proposal is awesome.
Package A's proposals range from average to awesome.

Package B's mentor scores B's proposal 5.
Package A's mentors score A's proposals. A's proposals total scores vary
from 10 to 25.

A mentors don't score B's proposals (and vice-versa).

Result: awesome proposal is out, average proposal is in.

(AFAIK, Melange takes into account the total score, not the average)

There is definitely a debate wether mentors of other packages are able
to rate proposals for some package.

It did not happen last year. We got ~17 slots, ~22 proposals and ended
up rejecting 8. All good projects got in. It might or it might not be
like this again.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest that mentors read _all_ proposals, and
score them if they are comfortable doing so.

What do you think of it? Any different ideas?

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva

http://polignu.org
http://garoa.net.br