Re: Fwd: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: Fwd: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:58:11 -0400

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:34 AM, pcmagas <address@hidden> wrote:
I think according to google-melagne site the mentor gets $500 that is
aptroxomately 300 Euros perfaps a future greek slalary ;)

Tell all your future greek friends to apply as mentors! And hurry! There are only a limited number of mentor slots available!

(Psst... a number of people on this list have been mentors or have more experience with this. Describing how you think this works or how you interpret this works isn't going to ingratiate yourself.)

Στις 03-04-2012, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 11:42 +0200, ο/η Nikos
Mavrogiannopoulos έγραψε:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Giuseppe Scrivano <address@hidden> wrote:
> > address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:
>
> >>    > This is a bit misleading, especially on this list. Orgs get paid,
> >>    > not mentors. Some orgs redistribute this money to the mentors; GNU
> >>    > hasn't generally done this.
> >>    That is sad :( For all their hard work mentors deserve to be rewarded.
> >>    Oh, well, i stand corrected then.
> >> The reward is computer user freedom.
> > absolutely right, but on the other hand there is some money and who
> > deserves it more than who is doing the real job?  As this money is
> > supposed to support the development of Free Software/Open Source
> > software, I don't see a better way to use this money than give it, at
> > least partly, to whom is directly involved with it.  Differently than
> > sporadic contributions, a mentor has responsibilities with the student
> > and has to find some time for it.
>
> I pretty much agree. Even if no money go to the mentor there should be
> something that counts as thank you gesture.
>
> regards,
> Nikos

From simpatrioti
Dimitrios Desyllas