[Fwd: [gnu.org #821921] Idea (gsoc): PDF generation of gnu.org articles]

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Fwd: [gnu.org #821921] Idea (gsoc): PDF generation of gnu.org articles]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 05:24:14 +0000

Forwarding to address@hidden

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 01:31:26 -0400
From: प्रवीण् ए via RT <address@hidden>

A NEW TICKET HAS BEEN CREATED, REPLIES GO TO REQUESTORS BY DEFAULT.

Wed Apr 17 01:31:25 2013: Request 821921 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by address@hidden
       Queue: web-translators
     Subject: Idea (gsoc): PDF generation of gnu.org articles
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: address@hidden
         CCs:
 Ticket <URL: http://rt.gnu.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=821921 >

Hi,

There is a book already published with Tamil translations of gnu.org
articles. We are planning to publish one in Malayalam too. So I think
it would be useful to many language communities to have this facility
of generating a book from selected articles from gnu.org itself. This
would also be useful for downloading articles and sharing these
offline. Another advantage is to not duplicate typesetting efforts
when we already have a good layout on the web page.

Wikipedia already provide such a functionality.  If there is an
interest from gnu.org team, we would like to propose this as an idea
for google summer of code (under swathanthra malayalam computing or
this could be done under gnu.org too). The library used by wikipedia
does not support Indian languages so we have created a new pdf library
with Indic support (pypdflib, which internally uses pango/cairo).

Please let us know if we can proceed with this idea for gsoc.

Thanks
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍