['Carol Smith' via Google Summer of Code Mentors List] [GSoC Mentors] GS

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: ['Carol Smith' via Google Summer of Code Mentors List] [GSoC Mentors] GSoC 2015 Mentors/Org Admins: "Pencils Down" and Final Evaluation Dates Approaching
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:35:20 +0200

Hi mentors.

The code submissions and final evaluations are approaching!  Please see
attached email from Carol.  It contains detailed information on how you
shall proceed and also the incoming milestones.  Please make sure to
read it carefully.

Thanks!

--- Begin Message --- Subject: [GSoC Mentors] GSoC 2015 Mentors/Org Admins: "Pencils Down" and Final Evaluation Dates Approaching Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 08:41:53 -0700
Hi there,

This is a friendly reminder that Monday, 17 August is our soft "pencils down" date. We suggest that students have completed their projects by this date and spend a week writing documentation and wrapping up their projects. We require that students stop all coding on 21 August.

Friday, 21 August at 19:00 UTC is when final evaluations open. Please consider this your reminder to submit your final evaluation by 28 August at 19:00 UTC so that you don't delay your students' final payments or possibly jeopardize your organization's attendance at the mentor summit.

I have updated the code submission guidelines and posted it on Melange for your reference. Code submission begins once students have received a passing grade on their final evaluations (after 28 August). The deadline is 25 September. One question students ask a lot is what portion of their code to submit if they made changes to an existing code base or their code interacts a lot with a system they didn't write. The answer is: use your best discretion. Have them submit the code that makes the most sense from a user's perspective.

I have posted the questions for the final evaluations below as well for your reference.

Cheers,
Carol

-------
    1. How would you rate the student’s performance on his/her project since the midterm evaluations?

      1. It has improved since the midterm

      2. It has stayed the same since the midterm

      3. It has gotten worse since the midterm

    2. Considering your student’s original project proposal, how closely does the project produced reflect the project proposed?

      1. It’s almost exactly the same - there have been very few changes to the project

      2. It’s similar - there have been some changes over the course of the summer

      3. It’s different - we changed the goals or scope of the project

      4. It’s different - the student diverged from the project plan

    3. How much time have you spent on Google Summer of Code since the mid term evaluations (again, take into consideration both time mentoring the student and working on the program as a whole)?

      1. 10-15 hours per week

      2. 16-20 hours per week

      3. 21-25 hours per week

      4. 26-30 hours per week

      5. 31-35 hours per week

      6. 36-40 hours per week

      7. more than 40 hours per week

    4. How does this amount of time spent on the program compare to before the midterms?

      1. It’s less than before the midterms

      2. It’s about the same

      3. It’s more than before the midterms

    5. How would you rate your student’s performance overall?

      1. Excellent - amongst the best performers I’ve ever worked with

      2. Strong, solid performance

      3. Okay

      4. Poor

    6. How would you rate your experience with the program overall?

      1. Excellent - one of the best programs I’ve ever participated in

      2. Very good

      3. Okay

      4. Poor

    7. If you are failing your student, please answer the next two questions (if you are passing the student continue to Question #9):
    8. Why did you fail the student (check all that apply)

      1. the student was uncommunicative with their mentor

      2. the student was uncommunicative with the project community

      3. student disappeared after midterm

      4. the student didn’t complete their project

      5. The student did not stick to their timeline or project plan

      6. The students’ work was of poor quality, in spite of our/my efforts to help them improve

      7. other

        1. Please explain.

    9. Any other information you’d like us to know about why you failed the student?
    10. What one thing would you tell mentors for your organization to do in the future to help the students’ experience with the program?

    11. What was the most rewarding and/or difficult part of the program for you this year?

    12. Is there additional information we should tell students before applying to future programs?

    13. Your previous experiences with GSoC: (check all that apply)

      1. I was a student in GSoC

      2. I was a mentor in a previous GSoC

      3. This is my first time as a mentor

    14. Are you a current or former Google employee or intern?

      1. Yes

      2. No

    15. Anything else you’d like to tell us?