swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:48:11 +0545

On 27/04/2008, at 2:49 AM, Scott Christley wrote:
Ok. Maybe the SDG should just once and for all move to mercurial or git? Thoughts anyone?
I mostly have been using SVN, but I'm almost always online.

I like CVS, I like SVN better, don't know anything about mercurial or git. I'm a little hesitant about converting the whole Swarm repository, or moving it, maybe later but I vote for not right now, especially right before the whole summer project crunch. I would prefer to avoid the churn and focus on coding.

As for SoC students, I say feel free to use whatever you want, make a local repository for yourself and submit patches, or work with the Swarm CVS repository, whatever is best for your workflow.

I am with Scott on this. It might be nice to modernise some infrastructure, but let's concentrate on new code just now. The current infrastructure works, and if it ain't broke don't fix it is a good maxim.

I am currently on the end of very intermittent leaky electric string in Kathmandu (GMT +5:45, no really). However, we are going to the country until 9 May and I doubt anything much works there. Nepal has cronic shortages of water, fuel, power and just about everything else that sustains 21st century life elsewhere.

My normal habitat is Sydney on GMT +10 during he SoC period.

Bill