swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] Google Summer of Code

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:53:20 +1000

On 07/07/2008, at 3:45 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
Just wondering how our students are doing.
Pavel has code generation underway from an OWL-API parser. Last time I looked, the basic skeleton of an object could be made to declare methods and variables. He was contemplating generating code for step functions.

Sounds good.

Haruka has been evaluating technology options and approaches. One idea was to move the code that talks to Swarm via Swarm XML-RPC to a Ruby server and then talk to that server -- a three tier system.

I have spent a bit of time building a Rails app. So I now have a better understanding of this stuff.

I understand you to mean something like:
1 we use Mongrel to serve the AJAX code
2 there is a small local sqllite db to handle authorisation, sessions, state etc.
3 there is some Ruby/Rails code which:
a. Puts up the control interface in the browser/ xulrunner..... to manipulate files, start and stop model runs
        b.  talks to the XML-RPC interface of the running
c. Puts up probe maps and graphs as required by the model and/or the user.

Everything we need for the server is included in current Linuxes and MacOS and can easily be installed in Windows with Instant Rails. As for the client, that is just a W3C compliant browser.

Looks like we have a week to submit a status report to Google.. Perhaps we should have some overview discussions here first?

This seems like a discussion to me.

Cheers
Bill