swarm-modeling

Re: Event-Oriented Computing

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Event-Oriented Computing
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 09:39:17 -0700

At 08:20 PM 2/6/99 -0800, you wrote:
>GR> Of course, for it to be useful, we'd want some kind of insurance
>GR> that the sim wouldn't really crash, even if it just went into an
>GR> infinite loop over a null op.
>
>Perhaps it would be useful to have some standard Swarm monitors for
>fishtank experiments that could look for these stupid critters and
>destroy them.  The monitors could keep a list of schedule trace
>patterns and destory all those of low complexity (using priviledges).
>
>Or perhaps it would be nicer/more-elegant to add smart predators to
>the system that would attempt to manipulate their immediate
>environment in such a way that resource-eating stupid critters would
>be eaten.

Cool!  That's the spirit! [grin]  I can't put my money where my mouth
is on this; but, we should have a competition.  You put ALife into the
Swarm kernel that hunts down and destroys agents that use system
calls and I'll put ALife in there that tries to use system calls but
obfuscates the fact that it uses system calls.  We could develop a
true co-evolutionarily grown operating system.  Of course, it probably
wouldn't ever respond to the user.  Who cares about the user when
you've got agents to battle?

glen
--
glen e. p. ropella                =><=          Hail Eris!
Home: http://www.trail.com/~gepr/home.html  (505) 424-0448

   body of the message.