swarm-modeling

Input on choice of programing language

From: Konrad_Richter
Subject: Input on choice of programing language
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:42:58 +0200

Dear all,
I am currently starting the work on my PhD. I want to build an artificial
market - in contrast to the SFI-ASM not with GAs but with genetic
programming - and to assess the impact of different regulations and auction
systems on the market effiency. For rigorous analysis, I will need quite
powerful statistical tools to calculate heteroskadicity, leptokurtusis etc.
I am currently pondering, what programming language I should choose.

My advisor works with GAUSS, so that would be a natural choice. However,
GAUSS seems to be quite restircted when it comes to ABM. Therefore I think
about implementing the program in SWARM, wirting the results to a file and
evaluating them with GAUSS. Concerning this, I have two questions:

1) Has anyone of you done genetic programming in SWARM? Is it apt for that
task?
2)  Has anyone of you integrated SWARM and GAUSS in some project and could
share insights on the "collaboration" between the two programs with me?
Especially, is it possible to evaluate data files that were generated by
SWARM with GAUSS?

Very many thanks for your help,
     Konrad

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.

   body of the message.