swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] short reading list for IBMs/ABMs in ecology?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:33:09 -0800

Alex Lancaster wrote:

> I'm looking for papers that compare and constrast ABM/IBM to classical
> models (ecological or otherwise) such as Lotka-Volterra predator-prey
> dynamics, or otherwise help provide a bridge from classical
> equation-based models to ABM/IBM (e.g. setting up an ABM/IBM in a
> "special case" mode to reproduce known classical dynamics).

Alex: Here are a couple more papers that do the compare and contrast--
Janusz Uchmanski is a real pioneer in this field but unfortunately in
Poland it is very hard for him to travel so few people know him.

Uchmanski, J. 1999. What promotes persistence of a single population: an
individual-based model. Ecological Modelling 115:227-241. (A very simple
single-species, single-resource model; examines effects on population
dynamics of stepwise increases in complexity- from  "classical" towards
IBM.)

Grimm, V., and J. Uchmanski. 2002. Individual variability and population
regulation: a model of the significance of within-generation density
dependence. Oecologia 131:196-202.
Abstract: Most models of theoretical population ecology
consider population density as a state variable and thus
ignore the fact that populations are composed not of
identical average individuals but of individuals which
are usually different. However, this individual variability
may be important for population regulation. We there-fore
analysed an individual-based population model
which explicitly describes within-generation processes,
i.e. individual growth, starvation, and resource dynam-ics.
The results show that if population dynamics are
dominated by slow changes in resource level, the popu-lation
size in the model undergoes wide oscillation, often
leading to extinction. If, on the other hand, fast within-generation
processes predominate, such as starvation and
sudden drops in resource levels, the population fluctu-ates
to a limited extent around an average. Within-gener-ation
density dependence may thus be an important
mechanism which is largely ignored in classic time-dis-crete
state-variable models. We conclude that the indi-vidual-
based approach provides important insights into
the hierarchical organization of population dynamics, i.e.
the relationship between fast processes at the individual
level and slower processes at the population level.

--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.