swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] Two new papers

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Two new papers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:56:13 -0800

I am pleased to announce the appearance today of this paper:

Grimm, V., E. Revilla, U. Berger, F. Jeltsch, W. M. Mooij, S. F. Railsback, H.-H. Thulke, J. Weiner, T. Wiegand, and D. L. DeAngelis. 2005. Pattern-oriented modeling of agent-based complex systems: lessons from ecology. Science 310:987-991.

In it, we review the use of observed patterns for three purposes in agent-based modeling: (a) designing a model so it is complex enough but not too complex; (b) testing theories for agent traits that explain system phenomena; and (c) parameterization. (I discussed some of these ideas at SwarmFest 2003.)

Also appearing today is another review paper:

DeAngelis, D. L., and W. M. Mooij. 2005. Individual-based modeling of ecological and evolutionary processes. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 36:147-168.

Its abstract:

Individual-based models (IBMs) allow the explicit inclusion of individual variation in greater detail than do classical differential-equation and difference-equation models. Inclusion of such variation is important for continued progress in ecological and evolutionary theory. We provide a conceptual basis for IBMs by de-scribing five major types of individual variation in IBMs: spatial, ontogenetic, pheno-typic, cognitive, and genetic. IBMs are now used in almost all subfields of ecology and evolutionary biology. We map those subfields and look more closely at selected key papers on fish recruitment, forest dynamics, sympatric speciation, metapopulation
dynamics, maintenance of diversity, and species conservation. Theorists
are currently divided on whether IBMs represent only a practical tool for extending classical theory to more complex situations, or whether individual-based theory represents a radically new research program. We feel that the tension between these two poles of thinking
can be a source of creativity in ecology and evolutionary theory.

Steve Railsback
--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.