swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABMs on Graphical Processor Units

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABMs on Graphical Processor Units
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:40:50 +1100

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 09:40:38AM -0700, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> Russell Standish wrote:
> >It sounds like one could do MPI on the Cell, however, which would allow
> >Graphcode-based applications written in EcoLab to work.
> Unfortunately, the ELF text section of OpenMPI is around 5 times too big
> to fit on a Cell local store.   It might be possible to strip it down,
> but after all that work you'd probably have something that looked a lot
> like libspe2:

All you need to do is link statically, rather than dynamically. This
happens by default when you use MPICH, for instance. Then you are just
memory do you get on a cell local store? If it is not enough to store
a few megabytes of dynamic libraries, it will not be enough to do any
serious ABM simulation, which tends to need 100s of MB.

> http://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/1DFEF31B3211112587257242007883F3/$file/SPE_Runtime_Management_API_v2.2.pdf
> >
> >GPUs are a different kettle of fish, as they are definitely SIMD based
> >(apply the same instruction to an array of pixels).
> >
> Nonetheless..
>
> http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html
> http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/1_1/NVIDIA_CUDA_Programming_Guide_1.1.pdf
>
> It's also worth noting that development kits for field programmable gate
> arrays  (FPGA) also have C dialect languages.

I never mentioned anything about having to program in
assembler. However, it is still a significant constraint to program in
a vector way - it works well for some things, like vectors, and not so
well for other things that require a lot of branching.